Vegetable & Side Dishes: Vegetables
Grilled Veggie Kabobs
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets (in bite-size pieces)
- 2 whole zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch thick coins
- 2 cups small mushroom, rinsed and stems removed
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, quartered and cut into large bite-size pieces
- About 2-3 tablespoons lower-fat bottled garlic and herb or steak marinade
- Start the coals if you are going to grill the kabobs.
- Thread the various vegetables onto 8 long metal skewers, alternating vegetables. (For example, thread a zucchini coin, then a piece of bell pepper, then a broccoli floret, then a mushroom, and repeat one more time to fill the skewer.)
NOTE: To keep the vegetables from turning around on the skewer while you are trying to turn them over and cook the other side, you can thread the vegetables onto 2 skewers for each kabob.
- Brush the vegetables generously with marinade. Use a stove top grill or grill about 6 inches from the coals for about 5 minutes per side.
8 servings (1 large kabob)
Per serving: 37 calories, 3 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat, 0.1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 99 mg sodium (depending on the marinade that is used). Calories from fat; 28 percent.
© 2008 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 4/7/2008