Soups & Sandwiches: Sandwiches
Party Sandwich Sub
- 1 unsliced loaf of wheat sourdough or French bread (some bakeries bake this fresh!)
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced extra lean ham (any type you like)
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced lean roast beef
- 6 big slices dill pickle
- Cut the bread lengthwise and carefully hollow out the top and bottom halves of the loaf, making sure to leave at least 1/2-inch of the bread as a shell (save inside bread part for another use).
- In small bowl, combine cheeses, onion, light mayonnaise, and Worcestershire sauce by hand or with mixer on low speed. Spread this mixture over the cut sides of both halves of the loaf.
- Layer the ham on the bottom half and top with pickles and then add roast beef. Gently press the top half over the bottom half and wrap in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into slices (1 1/2-inches wide).
8 party servings.
Per serving: 304 calories, 23 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 9.9 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 52 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 920 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 29 percent.
© 2008 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 4/7/2008