Desserts: Cakes, Cookies and Others
Devin Alexander's Healthy Decadence Double Chocolate Brownies
One of these brownies has 172 fewer calories and 11 fewer fat grams than traditional double chocolate brownies.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8-inch non-stick cake pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites, and sugar until they are well combined. Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the mixture until it is just combined and no lumps remain. Pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chips evenly over the top. Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are OK).
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool 5 minutes. Cut into 12 equal brownies.
Per brownie: 88 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, <1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 133 mg sodium.
Recipe from Devin Alexander; republished with permission of the author.
Last Editorial Review: 1/8/2008