Winter Chicken & Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, cooked skinless chicken breast (about 7 ounces cooked)
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tablespoon parsley flakes)
- 1/3 slivered almonds, toasted (toast by heating over medium heat in nonstick frying pan, stirring often, until golden brown)
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Add oil to a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onions, celery, mushrooms, and garlic and saute until mushrooms are lightly browned (about 7 minutes).
- Stir in carrots, chicken, and broth and bring to boil. Stir in the barley, cover the saucepan, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about an hour or until barley is just tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in parsley and almonds. Add pepper to taste and salt to taste if desired.
Per serving: 246 calories, 18 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 9.5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 32 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 156 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
© 2007 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 1/8/2008