Side Dishes and Vegetables: Vegetables
Roasted Winter Vegetable Medley
- 3 carrots, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch chunks (remove tough outer skin)
- About 18 cloves of raw garlic, peeled (optional)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 parsnips, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks (use 2 if they're larger parsnips)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (optional)
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth (if needed for moisture)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a jellyroll pan with foil and coat the foil with canola or olive oil cooking spray.
- Add vegetable medley to a large bowl and drizzle with oil and lemon juice and sprinkle thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper (if desired) over the top. Toss to coat vegetables with oil and seasonings. (You can cover and store this overnight at this point.) When ready, spread the vegetable medley mixture into the prepared pan and coat the top generously with canola or olive oil cooking spray.
- Roast until vegetables are browned and tender (about 50-60 minutes), gently turning the vegetables at the 30-minute point. Continue roasting the vegetables until they are ready (most edges are crisp and brown and the veggies are tender).
Per serving: 117 calories, 2 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, 2.6 g fat, .4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5.3 g fiber, 22 mg sodium (not including salt to taste). Calories from fat: 19%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 1/8/2008