Side Dishes and Vegetables: Vegetables
Roasted Garlic & Parsley Green Beans
An easy way to dress up green beans
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- About 8 cloves of roasted garlic*
- Pinch or two of salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped parsley
- 4 cups green beans, washed and both ends trimmed (cut longer beans into two-inch pieces)
- Freshly ground pepper (optional)
- In small bowl, combine olive oil, roasted garlic, salt, and parsley. Stir to blend, mashing roasted garlic with the round end of a small spoon.
- Microwave green beans in two tablespoons of water until crisp-tender but still a vibrant green. In colander, rinse beans with cold water and drain well.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat olive oil mixture over medium-high heat until hot (about 1 minute). Add the beans and continue to cook, tossing often, until hot and mixed together well (about 1 minute.) Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, if desired.
*To roast garlic: Lay a sheet of foil on a flat surface. Cut about 1/4 inch off the pointed end of a whole garlic bulb. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon olive oil over the exposed cloves; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap foil around the garlic and bake 30-40 minutes at 400 degrees until soft.
Per serving: 83 calories, 3 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, .6 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 50 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 43%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 1/8/2008