Breads and Muffins: Muffins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup light or fat-free cream cheese or sour cream
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger (optional)
- 1 large egg, higher omega-3 if available
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- Powdered sugar for dusting over the top of the muffins if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add muffin liners to 20 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda with boiling water, stir briefly, then set aside. In a large bowl, combine flours, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder with whisk.
- Fit your electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine canola oil, light cream cheese or sour cream, and brown sugar together by beating on medium speed. While beating on low speed, add molasses, the baking soda mixture and the flour mixture. Now beat in the egg and egg substitute.
- Fill muffin cups each with about 1/4-cup of batter. Bake until the top center of a muffin barely springs back when gently pressed (about 22-25 minutes). Let the muffins cool; then dust the tops with powdered sugar if desired.
Per muffin: 139 calories, 3 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat, .3 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 1.1 g fiber, 149 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 1/8/2008