Appetizers, Snacks, Dips, Salsas and Spreads: Appetizers
Easy Roasted Vegetable & Goat Cheese Tart
- 1 eggplant (1 pound), cut into 1/4-inch thick slices, then each slice cut in half
- 2 small (or 1 extra large) red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, stem and seeds removed, cut into strips about 1 inch wide, then each strip cut into 3 pieces
- 1 red onion, quartered and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 yellow squash or zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning blend (or similar)
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 6 ounces light goat cheese (with 3.5 grams of fat per ounce), use spreadable type if possible
- 6 whole-wheat tortillas (whole-wheat pita pockets can be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a jellyroll pan with foil and coat the foil with canola or olive oil cooking spray.
- Add vegetables, olive oil and Italian seasoning to a large bowl and toss to coat vegetables well. Add a sprinkling or two of salt and pepper, if desired. Pour mixture onto prepared pan and coat top with canola or olive oil cooking spray. Roast about 30 minutes.
- Gently turn over vegetables and roast about 20 minutes more. Meanwhile, spread about 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of the goat cheese over the top of each tortilla. Crisp the bottom of the tortilla by placing in toaster oven and pressing "toast," or warming in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until bottom is nicely browned.
- When vegetables are done, top each toasted tortilla with an assortment of the roasted vegetables (about 3/4 cup each). Cut each tortilla into 4 wedges.
Per serving: 194 calories, 8 g protein, 28.5 g carbohydrate, 8.5 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 9 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 245 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 34%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 1/8/2008