Holiday Appetizer Recipes: Make-Ahead Tips (cont.)
Per serving (2 bites): 62 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fat, 0.6 g saturated fat, 1.5 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 118 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36%.
Cheddar Cheese Bite-Size Biscuits
3/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup light cream cheese
2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (an 8-ounce bag of pre-shredded cheese works perfectly)
4 tablespoons margarine with 8 or 9 grams of fat per tablespoon
1/4 cup low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
- Place whole-wheat and white flour in food processor. Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and margarine to food processor bowl. Pulse for about 5 seconds to blend well.
- Drizzle milk over the top of the mixture and pulse until a dough forms (about 3 seconds). Add another tablespoon of milk if necessary.
- Use about a tablespoon of dough to roll into a ball and place on a cookie sheet coated with canola cooking spray.
- Cover and refrigerate cookie sheet while preheating oven to 400-degrees.
- Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Store cheese bite-size biscuits in an airtight container or in a sealable gallon-size plastic bag. Serve at room temperature or slightly warmed up when ready.
Yield: 16 servings (2 biscuits per serving)
Per serving (2 bites): 84 calories, 5 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate, 3.8 g fat, 1.7 g saturated fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 80 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 41%.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2007 Elaine Magee
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD, is the "Recipe Doctor" for the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic and the author of numerous books on nutrition and health. Her opinions and conclusions are her own.
© 2007 WebMD, Inc. All Rights Reserved.