Food Court Survival Tricks (cont.)
6. Include Protein and Fiber in All Meals and Snacks. A snack of a Cinnabon cinnamon roll can set you back 813 calories and 32 grams of fat -- and you'll probably be hungry again in a few hours. A better choice is a grilled chicken sandwich, says Neville. It contains about 400 calories and 10 grams of fat (less if you hold the mayo), and should satisfy you for much longer.
7. Take a Load Off. Sit down and relax when you eat; you deserve it. Neville warns that munching while you walk around promotes "mindless eating," which can result in consuming extra calories without even realizing it.
8. Make Your Steps Count. Make your shopping trip do double duty by strapping on a pedometer and counting all those steps. It might be tough to walk briskly through the crowds, so get there early and do a few laps around the mall before the hordes arrive. "Walk as briskly as you can, dodging the other shoppers, and whenever you can, take the stairs instead of the escalator," says Lichen. Aim for 10,000 steps or the equivalent of five miles throughout the day. Remember, nothing picks up your energy level like exercise.
Medically Reviewed December 11, 2007.
SOURCES: Kerry Neville, MS, RD, spokeswoman, American Dietetic Association. Jo Lichen, PhD, RD, author, Dr. Jo's Dining Lean. Sinatra, S. and Punkre, J. The Fast Food Diet, 2006.
© 2007 WebMD, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions