Definition of Fornication
Fornication: Sexual intercourse that is "illicit", outside of marriage.
The term "fornication" has a close medical relative by the name of "fornix", the word for "arch" in Latin. It seems that the Roman prostitutes used to hang out under the arches of certain public buildings. The act of carrying on an illicit relationship consequently came to be called "going under the arches" or fornication.
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions