Breads and Muffins: Breads
If you can't find dried mixed fruit or glace holiday fruit, you can substitute 1/3 cup dried cranberries plus currants and 1/3 cup coarsely chopped maraschino cherries.
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten (use a higher omega-3 brand if available)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lite pancake syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups white flour or bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons rapid rise or bread machine yeast
- 2/3 cup chopped dried mixed fruit or assorted glace holiday fruit
- Add all the ingredients except yeast and dried fruit into the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast. Select the DOUGH setting and press START.
- Ten minutes before the end of the DOUGH cycle (set your kitchen timer), sprinkle the mixed fruit over the top of the dough. When the cycle is over, you might need to knead in whatever fruit hasn't been incorporated (it just takes a minute).
- Shape dough into a round about 8 inches wide and 3 inches high, and place on a foil-lined or nonstick cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees while the bread rises in a warm place (cover with a towel if necessary). When double in size, bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Per serving: 118 calories, 4 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fat, .4 g saturated fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 197 mg sodium. Calories fat: 19%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 11/7/2007
© 2007 WebMD Inc.