Breads and Muffins: Breads
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute or beaten egg
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rapid rise or bread machine yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons less-fat margarine or whipped butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Add milk, canola oil, egg substitute, whole-wheat flour, white flour, sugar, and salt to bread machine pan. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the yeast in there.
- Set bread machine to DOUGH cycle and press start.
- After about 1 hour and 40 minutes, the bread machine will finish. Place the dough on a long sheet of waxed paper lightly dusted with flour. Roll the dough into a 10-inch x 14-inch rectangle. Spread the margarine or whipped butter over the top.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon to a small bowl and blend well. Sprinkle evenly over the margarine-topped dough. Let the dough rest about 8 minutes. Cut the rectangle into 14 strips (about 1 inch wide). Fold the top end of each strip down to meet with the bottom end and then twist it a few times. Place the twisted strips on a jellyroll pan covered with nonstick foil that has been coated with canola cooking spray.
- Cover with a towel, if necessary, and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 40 minutes). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake until golden brown, or about 15-18 minutes.
Per twist: 108 calories, 3 g protein, 17.5 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat, .4 g saturated fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 130 mg sodium. Calories fat: 25%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 11/7/2007
© 2007 WebMD Inc.