Side Dishes & Vegetables: Side Dishes
Lighter Potato Kugel
- 1 large onion, grated
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and grated (about 1.75 pounds of potatoes before peeling)
- 2 eggs well beaten (higher omega-3 if available)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup canola oil (this used to be schmaltz - rendered chicken fat!)
- 1/4 cup double strength or condensed chicken broth (low sodium chicken broth can be used)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grate the onion first. Then grate the potatoes and add to the onion to stop the potatoes from turning brown. Further chop half of this mixture with the blade of the food processor. This makes the kugel less dense.
- Mix everything together. Pour into a 2-3 quart rectangular casserole dish that has been coated with canola cooking spray. Bake for about an hour or until very brown and crusty. Cut in to squares to serve.
Per serving: 187 calories, 5.5 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, 8.3 g fat, .9 g saturated fat, 53 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 91 mg sodium (not including salt to taste). Calories from fat: 39%
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 11/7/2007
© 2007 WebMD Inc.