Side Dishes & Vegetables: Vegetables
(Carrots are sliced into coins and eaten as a symbol of prosperity and good luck in the Jewish New Year)
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup seedless golden raisins
- Kosher salt
- Minced fresh parsley
- Mix everything except the parsley together in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently until the carrots are crisp tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the cover from the pan, raise the heat and cook the carrots until most of the liquid has evaporated and the sauce is thickened, about five minutes. Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: 125 calories, 2 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fat, .2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3.3 g fiber, 42 mg sodium (not including salt). Percent calories from fat: 17%
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 11/7/2007
© 2007 WebMD Inc.