Simple Tomato & Herb Salad
This dish is simple because it uses a bottled salad dressing. The rest of the chopping and slicing goes quickly. It's all about featuring the garden fresh or vine-ripened tomato in all of its glory.
- 2 1/2 pounds (about 6 medium) garden fresh or vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 6 tablespoons lite or reduced fat Italian-style salad dressing (your choice)
- 1/3 cup minced mixed fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, and tarragon
- Core tomatoes and cut them into 1/2-inch thick slices. Arrange tomato slices in a deep serving dish (a 9 x 11-inch dish works well), and scatter onion and shallots over them.
- Drizzle the bottled salad dressing evenly over the salad. Cover the dish and chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle herb mixture over the top and serve.
Per serving: 72 calories, 2 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat, .6 g saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g fiber, 243 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 11/7/2007
© 2007 WebMD Inc.