Definition of Reading retardation
Reading retardation: Reading retardation means impaired ability to read. Reading retardation is an impairment that may, for example, reflect mental retardation or cultural deprivation.
Reading retardation is different from dyslexia, a specific reading disability due to a defect in the brain's (higher cortical) processing of graphic symbols; in other words, dyslexia is a learning disability that alters the way the brain processes written material.
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions