Definition of Caecal
The caecum receives fecal material from the small bowel (ileum) which opens into it. The appendix is attached to the cecum.
The word "caecum" comes from the Latin "caecus" meaning "blind." This refers to the fact that the bottom of the caecum is a blind pouch (a cul de sac) leading nowhere.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions