Doctor's Responses Archive

Viewer Question:
Which type of doctor could one consult when experiencing heel pain? Would this in any way be related to calcification of a shoulder tendon, which I had cortisone injection for about a year ago?

Doctor's Response:
Excellent question for which there is no one right answer. Heel pain can be an isolated event or be a recurring problem and be associated with illness elsewhere in the body. There are diseases that can feature heel pain and calcific tendinitis of the shoulder.

Doctor specialists that evaluate heel pain include podiatrists and orthopedists, both having the capability to perform surgical procedure if required. However, if one is searching for a possible systemic (throughout the body) condition that might link the shoulder problem with the foot problem, a rheumatologist might be the best bet. A rheumatologist is an internal medicine specialist (not a surgeon) with a special interest in the evaluation and nonsurgical care of musculoskeletal conditions.

Thank you for your question.

Last Editorial Review: 1/29/2003

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors