Dessert Recipes for Summer (cont.)
Yield: 12 servings
Per serving: 178 calories, 4 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 3.7 g fat, 0.7 g saturated fat, 18 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g fiber, 210 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 18%.
Super-Quick Peach Pie
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup less-fat margarine with 8 grams fat per tablespoon
1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 large fresh peaches, pitted, skinned, and sliced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a deep-dish pie pan with canola cooking spray.
- Add sugar, margarine, and low-fat buttermilk to a mixing bowl and cream together on medium speed for about a minute.
- Beat in the flours and nutmeg until a crumb mixture forms. Spread half of the mixture in the bottom of prepared pan. Arrange peach slices evenly on top of the crumb mixture. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top of the peaches.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350-degrees and continue baking for about 30-40 minutes or until the top crust is lightly brown.
Yield: 9 servings
Per serving: 170 calories, 2 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 28 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 16%.
Homemade Light Strawberry Ice Cream
One 14-ounce can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
3 cups fat-free half-and-half
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- Make sure your ice cream maker canister is completely frozen before you begin.
- Add condensed milk, fat-free half-and-half, vanilla, and salt to mixing bowl and beat on medium-low to blend well. Stir in strawberries.
- Pour ice cream mixture into frozen canister of ice cream maker, once it is all set up, and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. For my ice cream maker by Cuisinart, which stirs the mixture as it freezes it, it took about 30 minutes until the ice cream was ready to serve or to place in the freezer for serving later.
Yield: About 10, 3/4-cup servings
Per serving: 147 calories, 6 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 0.3 g fat, .1 g saturated fat, 2 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 131 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 2%.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2007 Elaine Magee
Reviewed on August 03, 2007.
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD, is the "Recipe Doctor" for the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic and the author of numerous books on nutrition and health. Her opinions and conclusions are her own.
©2007 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.