Roasted Red Onions and Green Beans
- 5 medium red onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs green beans or French green beans, trimmed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel onions and cut into lengthwise quarters.
- Toss onions with 1 tablespoon of vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet lightly oiled with cooking spray. Roast onions until golden brown, 20 minutes then sprinkle lightly with water and continue roasting another 20 minutes.
- Rinse green beans in cold water, drain. Place into covered dish and microwave until tender, 4-5 minutes; drain.
- Combine roasted onions with steamed green beans, adjust seasoning and serve.
per serving: 92 calories, 3.5 grams fat, 0.5 grams saturated fat, 14 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams protein, 3 grams fiber, 305 milligrams sodium.
© Recipe provided by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD
© 2007 WebMD Inc.Last Editorial Review: 7/23/2007