Desserts: Cakes, Cookies and Others
You can use either the blender crepes or the cocoa crepes in this recipe.
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3 tablespoons less-fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon) or butter
- 2 tablespoons cooled espresso or double-strength coffee
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two thick baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine flours, baking powder, and salt in a 2-cup measure and stir to blend.
- Place chocolate chips, baking chocolate, margarine, coffee, and chocolate syrup in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Cook in microwave on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir to finish melting the chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add sugar, egg substitute and vanilla to mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. Reduce to low speed and beat in the chocolate mixture just until combined. Gently fold in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- With a cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared pans. Bake for 8 minutes or until the surface of the cookie is dry (do not overcook). Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet, and then peel them off of the parchment.
- While cookies are cooling, place the white chips in a 2-cup glass measure. Microwave on LOW until chips are melting, once stirred with spoon (about 1 minute).
- Dip the edge of each cookie (about a fourth of the cookie) into the melted chocolate and let the chocolate harden by placing the cookies on waxed paper.
Per cookie: 131 calories, 6 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 1.8 g monounsaturated fat, 0.5 g polyunsaturated fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 120 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.Last Editorial Review: 7/23/2007