Breakfast Foods (Crepes, Pancakes and More)
Better Blueberry Pancakes
Says Alexander: "If you're as big a fan of these pancakes as my brunching buddies and I are, rest assured that you can double, triple, and even quadruple this recipe with great success. In addition, the batter will keep in your refrigerator for up to three days. I personally like to mix the batter fresh and enjoy the pancakes with a friend ... otherwise, I find myself tempted to eat more than one serving."
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup whole-grain oat flour
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- Sugar-free, low-calorie pancake syrup (optional)
- 100% fruit orange marmalade spread (optional
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, flour, egg white, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Whisk just until blended. Stir in the blueberries. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it. With an oven mitt, briefly remove the pan from the heat to mist lightly with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!® cooking spray. Return the pan to the heat. Pour the batter in 1/8-cup dollops onto the skillet to form 3 or 4 pancakes. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the tops and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Transfer to an oven-proof plate. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with cooking spray and the remaining batter to make 8 pancakes total.
- Place 4 pancakes on each of 2 serving plates. Serve immediately with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!® spray, syrup, and/or fruit spread, if desired.
2 (4-pancake) servings
Per serving: 140 calories, 8 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat (less than 1 g saturated), 5 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 687 mg sodium
© Recipe from The Biggest Loser Cookbook (Rodale Books, 2006). Republished with permission
© 2007 WebMD Inc.Last Editorial Review: 7/23/2007