Breads and Muffins
Best Irish Soda Bread
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg (higher omega-3 if available)
- 2 cups low fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons light pancake syrup or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cups currants (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with canola cooking spray.
- Add flours, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda to large mixing bowl and beat on low to blend well.
- Add egg, buttermilk, pancake syrup, and canola oil to an 8-cup measure (or medium-sized bowl) and whisk to blend well. Stir in currants if desired.
- Add buttermilk mixture all at once to the flour mixture in mixing bowl and beat on low just until moistened. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 12 servings
per serving: 168 calories, 5.5 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fat, 0.6 g saturated fat, 1.6 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 19 mg cholesterol, 2.3 g fiber, 370 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 18 percent.
© 2007 WebMD Inc. © 2006 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 6/11/2007