Soups and Sandwiches
French-Style Ham & Cheese Sandwich
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced (red or white onion can be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons light pancake syrup (optional)
- 4 slices of your bread of choice (sourdough, French, whole grain, or even a white or wheat flour tortilla)
- 3 ounces thinly sliced extra lean ham (honey ham, maple, or other flavor)
- 2 tablespoons whipped light cream cheese (light cream cheese can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, firmly packed
- Add olive oil to medium nonstick frying pan and begin to heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute, stirring often, until onion is nicely browned and caramelized (about 4 minutes). Drizzle pancake syrup (if desired) over the top and stir into the onions. Set aside to cool.
- Toast bread slices if desired. Top two of the slices with the ham slices and spread the caramelized onions over the ham. Then spread a tablespoon of the cream cheese over the remaining two slices. Sprinkle shredded Gruyere cheese evenly over the top of the cream cheese.
- Place all four slices until the toaster oven broiler (or regular broiler) and broil, watching carefully, until the Gruyere cheese is starting to bubble (about 3-4 minutes). Place the slices with the cheese over the slices with the ham and onions. Cut each sandwich on the diagonal and serve!
Makes 2 sandwiches
Per sandwich (using whole wheat bread): 377 calories, 25 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 15.5 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 997 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 37 percent.
© 2007 WebMD Inc. © 2006 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 6/11/2007