Side Dishes and Vegetables
Simple Spinach & Tomato Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped spinach, fresh or frozen in bags
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat pasta in small shapes like macaroni, rotelli, or small shells
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- Add olive oil to a medium nonstick saucepan or skillet heated over medium-high heat. After about 20 seconds when the oil is nice and hot, add the tomatoes, spinach, and garlic and continue to saute for a few minutes until spinach is soft and bright green and tomatoes are soft. Add some salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and continue to cook and stir the mixture for a minute or two to heat up the pasta and blend the flavors. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top and turn off the heat. Let the dish sit for a couple of minutes, sprinkle pine nuts over the top, and serve!
Makes 2 servings
Per serving: 279 calories, 11 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 5 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 89 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 27 percent.
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 6/11/2007