Questions to Ask Your Doctor After a Cancer Diagnosis
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
1. What type of cancer do I have? How was the diagnosis established? Are there any other diagnostic tests that could provide useful information?
3. Should I get a second opinion about either the diagnosis or the treatment plan? Can you recommend someone who could provide a second opinion?
4. What are the treatment options? How do you decide among the different options? Are there investigational treatments or clinical trials available for this type of cancer?
5. How much is known about the type of cancer that I have? How common is this cancer and the type of treatment I am to receive? Would I be better off being treated in a more specialized center?
6. What is your experience in treating this type of cancer? What have been the results of this treatment, in your experience?
7. How much time should I take to make a decision about treatment?
8. What is the goal of treatment (for example, to completely eradicate the tumor, to reduce the size of the tumor, to alleviate symptoms)?
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/1/2014