Definition of AKA (above the knee amputation)
AKA (above the knee amputation): In general usage, this would be read to mean "also known as." For example, William Jefferson (aka "Bill") Clinton. However, in medical parlance, AKA means "above the knee amputation." A nurse scrubbing for an AKA is getting ready to assist in an above-knee amputation.
AKA is as opposed to BKA, a below-the-knee amputation.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions