Slow Cooker Shepherd's Pie
- Mashed Potatoes:
- 6 cups cooked, peeled, hot, drained, potato quarters (if potatoes are large, cut into 6 or 8 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons whipped butter or less fat margarine
- 6 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half (or low fat milk)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Meat Mixture:
- 2 cups cooked lean meat of your choice, cut into bite-size pieces (roasted turkey, roast beef, etc.)
- 2 1/4 cups frozen mixed vegetables, lightly cooked or thawed (such as a blend of green beans, wax beans, and baby carrots)
- 10.5-ounce can condensed cream of celery soup (with around 4.5 grams fat per 1/2 cup serving of soup)
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 4 green onions, white and part of the green, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Add hot potatoes (from colander) directly into large mixing bowl. Add the whipped butter and fat-free half-and-half, and beat on low until desired texture is achieved.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Coat inside of the slow cooker with canola cooking spray and spread mashed potatoes in the bottom. Sprinkle black pepper over the top, if desired. Spread pieces of meat evenly over mashed potatoes. Top with mixed vegetables.
- Add condensed cream of celery soup to a 2-cup measure. Stir in sour cream and green onions. Spread mixture over the top of the vegetables in the slow cooler. Sprinkle with black pepper, if desired. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. Afterward, if you are using cheese, sprinkle it over the top and cook on high until cheese is melted (about 20-30 minutes more.)
Per serving: 367 calories, 29 g protein, 46 g carbohydrate, 6.8 g fat, 1.1 g saturated fat, 61 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 487 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 17%.
© 2006 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 1/10/2007