Pollo en Escabeche (Puerto Rican Chicken Appetizer)
You can cook the whole chicken yourself, but it is so much easier to buy the rotisserie or roasted chicken and shred it. Serve this chicken dish with crackers or sliced baguette bread.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
- 2 medium-sized sweet or regular onions (cut off ends, remove outer skin, then cut in half
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 12 whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 roasted whole chicken (buy at a grocery store or rotisserie)
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large nonstick skillet and begin to heat over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are soft (3-4 minutes).
- Add in remaining ingredients (remaining olive oil, vinegar, peppercorns, salt, bay leaves), cover skillet, and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken meat from the roasted chicken removing any skin and bones (it should equal at about 3 cups firmly packed shredded chicken).
- Stir in shredded chicken and continue to simmer until chicken is warm (about 2 minutes). Serve with wheat crackers!
8 appetizer servings
Per serving: 220 calories, 17 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 14.5 g fat, 2.3 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 107 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 59%.
© 2006 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 1/10/2007