Cakes, Cookies, and Other Desserts
Light Rum Cake
- 2/3 cup pecans or walnut pieces
- 1 box yellow cake mix (with or without pudding in the mix)
- 1 large egg, higher omega-3 egg if available
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons whipped butter or margarine with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Splenda (if you don't want to use Splenda, just increase the sugar to 1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup Bundt pan with canola cooking spray. Sprinkle the nuts over the bottom of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining cake ingredients (cake mix, egg, egg substitute, pineapple juice, sour cream, dark rum) and beat on medium speed until well blended. Pour the batter over the nuts in prepared pan.
- Bake in the center of oven for about 50-60 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely, and then invert it onto a serving plate.
- To make the glaze, melt the butter in a small, nonstick saucepan. Away from the heat, stir in 1/2 cup rum, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup Splenda. After you've stirred the mixture, put back on the stove over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil. Continue to gently boil, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Prick the top of the cake all over with a skewer or large barbecue fork. Slowly spoon or pour the glaze evenly over the top. You can spoon or brush some of the glaze that drips off onto the sides of the cake.
Per serving: 215 calories, 4 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 19 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 245 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
© 2006 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 1/10/2007