Viewer Question:Are painful inflamed tastebuds the same thing as canker sores?
Doctor's Response:No. Painful inflamed tastebuds are simply painfully inflamed tastebuds. Canker sores (alias aphthous ulcers) are little ulcer craters in the lining of the mouth. Rather than being hollowed out like canker sores, the taste buds (whether inflamed or not) are raised. One goes up. The other down. Canker sores tend to be extremely painful, much more so than inflamed tastebuds. Sore tastebuds are thus not the same as canker sores. They are different.
Thank you for your question.
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions