Orange Mango Chicken
- 2 teaspoons less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 or 4 half breasts)
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (or substitute vodka)
- 1 tablespoon bottled hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons bottled chili sauce (the tomato-based type, like from Heinz)
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 3 green onions cut into thin, diagonal slices (the white and half of the green)
- 1 mango, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoon roasted, toasted or flavored almonds (whole, sliced or slivered)
- Add soy sauce and 1 teaspoon cornstarch to medium bowl and stir to blend. Add chicken pieces and stir to coat with the marinade. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce, add orange juice, rice wine or vodka, hoisin sauce, sugar, chili sauce, and garlic to a 2-cup measure. Stir to blend and dissolve the sugar.
- Start heating your large, nonstick frying pan or wok over high heat. Once it's hot, add oil and swirl pan to coat the bottom well. Add the chicken and marinade mixture and stir-fry until chicken is cooked through (about 4 minutes). Add orange juice sauce and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Stir in the cornstarch mixture, green onions, and mango. Stir-fry, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens (about 20 seconds).
- Serve over cooked brown rice. Sprinkle the top of each serving with some toasted or flavored almonds as desired.
3 entree servings
Per serving: 284 calories, 36 g protein, 21.5 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 0.8 g saturated fat, 2.3 g monounsaturated fat, 1.4 g polyunsaturated fat, 88 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 347 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 17%
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2006