Appetizers, Snacks, Dips, Salsas and Spreads:Snacks
Twist and Shout Trail Mix
This is a great project for younger kids (aged 2-6). Not only do they feel proud about preparing their own snack, they also get the chance to practice their math skills.
- 1/2 to 1 cup Multi-Grain Cheerios®
- 1/2 to 1 Cup mini pretzels (preferable oat bran)
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/2 to 1 cup Goldfish® crackers
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 to 1 cup of peanuts
- Lay out a snack-sized plastic bag for each child.
- Have each child count out 10 Cheerios® and place into a bag
- Next, have each child count out 9 pretzels and place into the bag
- Next, have each child count out 8 raisins and place into the bag
- Next, have each child count out 7 Goldfish® crackers and place into the bag
- Next, have each child count out 6 chocolate chips and place into their bag
- Next, have each child count out 5 peanuts and place into their bag
- Tightly close the plastic bags, and have all children stand up and do the twist. The kids will have fun shaking up the contents of their trail mix. (You might even want to play the song Twist and Shout).
1 serving = 10 Cheerios, 9 mini pretzels, 8 raisins, 7 Goldfish, 6 chocolate chips
Per serving: 105 calories, 3 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 4.6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.
Source: Joy Bauer, MS, RD, CDN.Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2006