Basic Lean Beef Burgers
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (also called 95/5 or 5%)
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices (optional)
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg white, salt, and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes to medium (160°F) doneness (until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color), turning occasionally.
- Line bottom of each bun with lettuce and tomato, if desired; top with burger.
Per serving: 272 calories; 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 65 mg cholesterol; 439 mg sodium; 24 g carbohydrate; 3.6 g fiber; 27 g protein; 6.8 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B-6; 2.1 mcg vitamin B-12; 3.6 mg iron; 41.9 mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc.
Source: The Healthy Beef Cookbook (Wiley, 2006).Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2006