Viewer Question:Please give me any information on cryptic tonsillitis that you may have concerning causes and treatment.
Doctor's Response:Cryptic in the case of the tonsils refers simply to the tonsillar crypts which are little pitlike depressions in the tonsils.
The causes and treatment of cryptic tonsillitis are basically no different than the causes and treatment of all tonsillitis.
The word "cryptic" comes from the Greek "kryptos" meaning hidden or concealed. Thus, cryptic tonsillitis may be hidden, concealed because it is down in the pits (of the tonsil) and may not be causing apparent symptoms.
Last Editorial Review: 7/7/2004
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions