Light & Luscious Berry Grunt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (divided use)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided use)
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons less-fat margarine (8 grams fat per tablespoon), melted in microwave
- 4 cups raspberries
- 3 cups blackberries
- 2 tablespoons berry liqueur (like Chambord®), water can be substituted
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Wondra® quick-mixing flour
- 1/4 cup Splenda® (optional)
- Stir together 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl and set aside. Add flours, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, pinch of salt, and ginger to a medium bowl; blend well with whisk. Add melted margarine and fat-free half-and-half together in 1-cup measure and pour into flour mixture. Stir together with fork or spoon and set aside.
- Add raspberries, blackberries, berry liqueur, lemon juice, quick-mixing flour, remaining sugar and Splenda® (if desired), pinch of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon in large bowl and gently toss together. Add berry mixture to a large, straight-sided skillet. Cover skillet and bring mixture to a gentle boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
- Drop large dollops of batter (a heaping tablespoon each) evenly on top of the gently boiling berry mixture. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the dollops of batter. Cover skillet again and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until biscuits/dumplings are cooked through and the juices are bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- Top each serving with a cookie-size scoop of light vanilla ice-cream, if desired.
about 8 servings
Per serving (without ice cream): 209 calories, 3 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fat, 0.4 g saturated fat, 0.4 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 71 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 12%.
© 2006 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 7/24/2006