Sauces, Salad Dressings & Gravies
Vegetarian Sausage & Sage Gravy
You can use this gravy in all sorts of dishes, from vegetarian Shepherd's pie to vegetarian casserole to pot pie.
- 4 links vegetarian sausage links or patties, like Whole Kitchen® brand from Whole Foods (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Wondra® quick-mixing flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon dried ground sage
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick frying pan, then add the vegetarian links or patties and fry until done, crumbling into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth and the 2 tablespoons of flour to a small, nonstick saucepan and mix together to make a paste. Slowly whisk in the remaining vegetable broth.
- Whisk in the salt (if desired), pepper, sage, and cooked sausage pieces with oil. Bring mixture to boil and stir until it reaches desired thickness (about 2 minutes).
1 1/4 cup gravy (about 4 servings)
Per serving: 93 calories, 6.5 g protein, 5.5 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1.6 g fiber, 410 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 48%.
© 2006 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 7/24/2006