Definition of Lateral
Lateral: 1. In anatomy, the side of the body or a body part that is farther from the middle or center of the body. Typically,
lateral refers to the outer side of the body part, but it is also used to refer to the side of a body part. For example, when
referring to the knee, lateral refers to the side of the
knee farthest from the opposite knee. The opposite of lateral is medial.
For a more complete listing of terms used in medicine for spatial orientation, please see the entry to "Anatomic Orientation Terms".
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions