Definition of Laceration
Laceration: A cut.
All that is required to care for most cuts is to wash them with soap and water and keep them clean and dry. Putting alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and iodine onto cuts can delay healing and should be avoided. Seek medical care early if you think that the cut may need stitches. Any delay can increase the rate of wound infection.
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions