Cakes, Cookies and Other Desserts
- 1/2 cup less-fat canola margarine (with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup light cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cup sugar (if you like, substitute Splenda for 1/2 cup of the sugar)
- 1 large egg (use higher omega-3 eggs if available)
- 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons double-strength vanilla extract (or use regular)
- 2 3/4 cup unbleached flour (substitute whole-wheat flour for 1 1/4 cups of this, if desired)
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a cookie sheet with canola cooking spray, or line with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Cream together butter, corn syrup, cream cheese, and 1 1/4 cups sugar with a mixer on medium speed. Add the egg, egg whites or egg substitute, and vanilla, and beat until blended.
- Add the flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt to mixing bowl. Beat on low speed to form a dough. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.
- Add the 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon to small, shallow bowl and blend well.
- Use a measuring cup or cookie scoop (1/8 level cup or level cookie scoop) to form balls of dough, and roll each generously in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on a cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake about 8 minutes or until set, but not too hard. Remove immediately from cookie sheet.
3 dozen cookies
Per cookie (using part Splenda and whole-wheat flour): 80 calories, 2 g protein, 13.5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 0.6 g fiber, 85 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 23%.
© 2006 Elaine MageeLast Editorial Review: 4/17/2006