Appetizers & Snacks
Deluxe Microwave Nachos
- 1 can (16-ounce) fat free or vegetarian refried beans
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (from packets)
- About 1 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese (Jack, cheddar, or both)
- 4 green onions (white and part green), chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- Small can of chopped chili peppers
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup bottled or fresh salsa
- About 8 cups reduced-fat tortilla chips
- Open the fat-free refried (or vegetarian) beans and heat in a saucepan with a couple tablespoons of taco seasoning. Stir and cook until blended and beans are nice and soft (about 2 minutes).
- Prepare the rest of your toppings: open a bag of shredded, reduced-fat cheese; chop green onions and fresh tomatoes; open a can of chili peppers; put a spoon into the container of sour cream, and in the jar or tub of salsa.
- Arrange a serving (about 2 cups) of reduced-fat tortilla chips on a microwave-safe plate. Top with spoonfuls of beans, cheese, and sprinkles of green onions, tomatoes, and chili peppers, as desired. Microwave on HIGH for about 1 minute. Place a dollop of sour cream and salsa in the center of the plate and serve.
- Repeat with remaining servings (each takes about 1 1/2 minutes to assemble and microwave).
Per serving: 450 calories, 22 g protein, 66 g carbohydrate, 11.5 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 18 mg cholesterol, 13 grams fiber, 800 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 23 percent.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Last Editorial Review: 4/7/2006