Appetizers, Snacks, Dips, Salsa & Spreads
Best Spinach Dip Recipe
This is a light rendition of that colorful and tasty party staple, the spinach-dip-stuffed sourdough round. You can make the dip and carve out the sourdough round a day ahead of time. Keep the bread in extra-large resealable bag and the dip, covered, in the refrigerator. Then fill the bread "bowl" with dip just before the party. (If you like, skip the bread bowl and serve with slices of whole-wheat sourdough or French bread, or with whole-grain trackers
- 1/3 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 1/3 cup fat-free or light sour cream (whichever brand you find tastes best)
- 1 box dry leek soup mix or vegetable soup mix (1.8 ounce)
- 1 cup finely chopped jicama (or substitute a 4 ounce can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped)
- 10 ounce package frozen, chopped spinach (thaw, drain, and squeeze out excess water)
- 1 pound round loaf of sourdough bread (or similar type)
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, leek soup mix, jicama, and chopped spinach. Chill in the refrigerator 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove top and interior of sourdough bread round, making a bowl. Fill with spinach mixture. Cut the carved-out bread top into bite-sized cubes for dipping. Serve the spinach dip-filled bread bowl with the bread cubes.
Makes 1 bread bowl (about 16 appetizer servings, 1/3 cup of dip each).
Per serving: 161 calories, 5.5 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fat (0.8 g saturated fat, 1.4 g monounsaturated fat, 2.1 g polyunsaturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 295 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 3/22/2006