Vegetables & Side Dishes
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
This is a traditional sweet potato favorite made lighter in fat and calories!
- 4 cups hot mashed sweet potatoes
- 1-tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons light pancake syrup (or real maple syrup)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup low fat, fat free half and half or whole milk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut (sweetened)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees. Coat a 1 1/2- to 2-quart casserole dish with canola cooking spray.
- With electric mixer, blend sweet potatoes, 1-tablespoon butter, and pancake syrup together. Beat in egg, egg substitute, and milk. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Combine pecans, coconut, brown sugar, and flour. Stir in a tablespoon of melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over sweet potatoes. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Per serving: 204 calories, 4 g protein, 32.5 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 32 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g fiber, 90 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30 percent.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 3/22/2006