Vegetables & Side Dishes
Maple Roasted Squash (with Apple Filling) Recipe
- 4 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 teaspoons whipped butter or less-fat margarine
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or 8 tablespoons light pancake syrup
- 3 apples, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped assorted fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, parsley) OR 2 teaspoons assorted dry herbs (thyme, rosemary, or parsley)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place squash halves, cut side up, on a baking pan. Season the inside of squash with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 teaspoon of whipped butter or margarine and 1/2 tablespoon of maple syrup (or 1 tablespoon light pancake syrup) into the bowl of each squash half.
- Distribute diced apples into the bowl of each squash half. Sprinkle herbs over the top.
- Roast squash until tender and nicely browned (about 1 hour). Periodically (every 20 minutes or so), spoon syrup from the squash bowl over the top of the apples.
8 squash halves
Per serving: 180 calories, 2 g protein, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat, 1.7 g saturated fat, 0.8 g monounsaturated fat, 0.3 g polyunsaturated fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 33 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 14%.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 3/22/2006