Garlic Cheese Bread
- 1/3 cup less-fat margarine (with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried parsley)
- 1-pound loaf French or sourdough bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 green onions (the white and part of the green) chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add margarine, ricotta cheese, garlic, and parsley to a small food processor (a hand mixer can also be used) and mix until blended.
3. Place bread halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet or jellyroll pan. Spread half of the mixture on one half of the loaf and repeat with the remaining margarine mixture on the second half.
4. Bake in hot oven for about 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. While it's baking, toss the mozzarella cheese with the green onions. Remove bread from the oven and sprinkle the top with the mozzarella mixture. Return to oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Per serving: 182 calories, 9 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 2.8 g saturated fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 355 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006