Fresh Berry Muffins
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons Splenda®
- 1 1/4 cup chopped strawberries (or substitute any fresh berries, unchopped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners (you'll need about 11 liners).
2. Add oil, sour cream, milk, and egg to mixing bowl and beat until smooth; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add flours, salt, baking powder, sugar and Splenda®; whisk to blend well. Add the chopped strawberries to the flour mixture and toss well to coat them with flour. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir to blend together well.
4. Put 1/4 cup of the batter in each muffin cup. Bake until the tops bounce back when gently pressed (about 20 minutes). Cool muffins about 10 minutes.
Per muffin: 136 calories, 4 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, 3.4 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 201 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006