Creamy Peanut Coleslaw
The peanuts add crunch and complement the coleslaw flavor.
- 9 cups shredded cabbage (you can buy this in bags in the produce section)
- 3 medium carrots, grated (or use 12 cups of prepared coleslaw mixture in bags, if you buy the kind with grated carrots mixed in)
- 4 green onions (the white and part of the green), chopped
- 6 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons light or nonfat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (or use 1 1/2 tablespoons each of sugar and artificial sweetener)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, unsalted or lightly salted
1. In large serving bowl, mix cabbage with carrot and green onions.
2. To make dressing, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, mustard, vinegar, apple juice, and celery seed in a small bowl. Pour over cabbage mixture.
3. Sprinkle peanuts over the top and serve. Or cover and keep chilled in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Per serving: 105 calories, 3 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g fiber, 94 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 46%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006