Appetizers & Snacks
- 3 fresh, ripe Roma tomatoes
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves (or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano flakes)
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 4 slices sourdough, French or country-style bread, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the tomatoes, then cut down the middle with a plastic knife and remove most of the seeds and juice. Chop into small pieces, and add to small bowl.
2. Tear or chop basil into small pieces, then add to tomatoes in bowl, along with the oregano and garlic.
3. Toast bread slices to desired brownness. Spoon the tomato mixture evenly over the toasted bread slices, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the top of each tomato-topped bread slice.
Per serving: 146 calories, 3.5 g protein, 19.5 g carbohydrate, 6.4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 181 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 39%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006