Quick-Fix Tabbouleh Salad
Tabbouleh is one of most popular ways to use bulgur. Here's a quick and light rendition.
- 1 cup dry bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 teaspoon chicken broth powder (or vegetable broth powder)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (or walnut or pecan pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, the white and part of the green
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes (or 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Pepper to taste
1. Pour boiling water over bulgur in an 8 cup measuring cup or medium bowl. Let sit 30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Blend 3/4 teaspoon chicken broth powder with 3 tablespoons very hot water together in a custard cup and set aside.
2. Add remaining ingredients, including chicken broth, pine nuts, green onions, tomatoes, lemon juice, and olive oil. Toss thoroughly and add pepper to taste.
3. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
Per serving: 137 calories, 5 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 5.3 g fat (0.8 g saturated fat, 2.6 g monounsaturated fat, 1.4 g polyunsaturated fat), 0.4 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 17 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 32%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006